Sunday, April 27, 2014

Yard Project: Take 1

Remember how we had to replace our sewer line in December? If not read here.
It left us with a big heap of dirt that looked like a giant grave. We watered it a lot so it would settle and then mostly leveled it out by hand with shovels the rest of the way.
I had gotten back from Utah around 11pm that night (with less than 5 hrs sleep the previous night) and Cody had us up and at the landfill by 8:30am unloading the pieces of cement from the rest of the sidewalk that he took out by hand with a sledge hammer the day before. 
The initial plan was to just replace sod where the lawn was dug up but I wanted it to all match (and got teased for being high-maintenance, a princess, etc for wanting it that way even though I helped do everything) so we rented a sod cutter.
Cody cut out all the remaining grass and I rolled it up and moved it off the lawn. We were about an hour into cutting, rolling and hauling out the old sod and I said, "who's stupid idea was this anyway" trying to be funny because it was my idea and if looks could kill....lol! I would have died that day. Good thing Cody loves me.


Don't let this picture fool you, the kids were not that much help. They did pick rocks and the little stuff up for me, but mostly they just wandered around with the shovels, rakes and wagons.
Getting it leveled out for the new sod
If anyone knows how, this needs "pinned" onto Pinterest under "alternative uses for pallets"! It has been our new front step since December. Pretty awesomely amazing right? Actually it's more of a lawsuit waiting to happen. Ready....Pin it!!
Our "new" sod for the front yard
My brother and SIL removed a bunch of their lawn so they could do landscaping and gave us a bunch of it to use for our front yard. Free is the best!
This is pretty much how all of us felt by the end of the day. I'll have to take an AFTER picture and put on here, it looks tons better. 

4/19/14

No comments: