Saturday, November 23, 2013

Foster Mom

I know I am so behind, but for all practical purposes I have triplets right now and they are very active busy triplets on top of everything else that is going on with life right now.

Let's start from the beginning...

I never planned on being a foster mom, but I've figured out that I'm not always the one steering the way things go in life.

Because Mason and Chloe were in custody of the state we had to become foster parents so that they could be in our home before we could legally adopt them. That was over 2 years ago. Since then Shawn our caseworker has been coming to our house once a year to renew our license.The last time he came we planned on just telling him that we weren't going to renew because we didn't get called anyway, but when the time came we still renewed. Not because he was pushy about it, it just felt like the right thing to do.

Fast forward about a month. I was home, Cody was at work, Gavin was in school and I was having a  good mommy day. By that I mean that I wasn't overwhelmed with my ever growing to do list, my kids were fed and happy, my house was clean and every thing just felt perfect and I was content. I remember thinking that morning how good things were.

That afternoon I got a call from the CPS (Child Protective Services) wanting to know if we could foster a 3 year old that could potentially end up being an adoption. They were calling from District 6 and couldn't find anyone there who could take him so they started calling people in District 7 (not to be confused with the Districts in Hunger Games). I asked a few questions about him first to make sure that it would be safe and not to disruptive to bring him into my home with my kids and then said "Sure" like they were asking me if I wanted to store a box in my attic for awhile, like it was no big deal having another toddler in my home. (This sounds so crazy now!)

I called Cody to tell him "I found us another three year old". He didn't believe me at first, but then he was super excited about it. At that point we didn't know too much about him other than his mom had left him with the neighbors about 3 months ago and the neighbor just couldn't take care of him anymore. Oh, and he is 4 days younger than Mason. My Mason who is only 9 months and 3 weeks older than Chloe. So at this point I have two 3 year olds and a two year old who are all less than 10 months apart, two of which are essentially twins.

 On the way home
As soon as we put him in the car Gavin smiled at him and said, "Hey Foster*, you're going to love our home." It was so adorable. When we got home Gavin gave him a tour and was telling him where everything was and showing him all kinds of things. It was fun to see how Gavin views his home life from his point of view, in his own words, without him knowing I was listening.

We got Foster (I can't put his real name or a full face picture of him on here so he will be referred to as Foster, since he is a foster child and I have to cover up his eyes) on October 23rd, a month ago. Needless to say, life has been pretty crazy around here, but I'm finally catching up with things and will keep you updated on the happenings at the Fry house.

1 comment:

Jessie said...

You are a saint and a half! What an adventurous life you lead. :) And a big heart you have.