Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Seasons

After Grandpa's funeral I was thinking to my self that the season of burying grandparents is over for me, he was my last living grandparent and then I got to thinking that my next "season" is going to be saying good by to aunt and uncles, but not for a long time.

The following week, exactly a week to the day that my grandpa died, my Uncle Dale passed away. He was 72. I guess that next season is coming a little sooner that I had wanted.  He is the father of my cousin Jeff who passed away earlier this year.

Dale was my dad's brother. He passed away on Sept. 24th, my Uncle Ronnie's (dad's brother in law) birthday. My dad's other brother, also named Ronnie, passed away on Uncle Ronnie's birthday too, just years earlier. My dad is the last living brother in his family so we told him that from now on he is spending every Sept. 24th in the hospital as a precautionary.

That following weekend my brother in law Chet went hunting(Thursday). He went up a day sooner than his friend so he was up there alone. He decided to go scout the area out a little bit. He ended up getting caught in a snowstorm with no matches and getting followed by a mountain lion. Luckily he found some campers and one of his keys just happened to open one of the storage bins so Chet was at least able to get out of the elements a little bit and away from the mountain lion.

No one knew that Chet was even lost until he sent his friend Brian a text message that said that he was lost, he thinks he is by a certain trail head, come find me. Brian didn't know if he got it as soon as Chet sent it or if it came later like they sometimes do when you are out in the wilderness.

My sister who is pregnant and extra emotional got the call from Brian about what was going on. All my sister could think about was how "death comes in 3's". First grandpa, then Dale, and now maybe Chet. Chet's dad also died while his mom was expecting him so that added to the crazy thoughts that were going through everyone's minds. It was the longest day!!

Long story short, the next morning (Friday) Chet climbed a mountain, found a road and followed it until he was able to flag down some hunters. Everyone is ok, Karen has sufficiently stocked Chet's pack with everything he could possibly need and they are in the process of buying him a satellite GPS system.

To say the least the last few weeks have been pretty emotional around her. I ended up with strep throat for the fourth time this year and my family doc told me I couldn't put it off any longer, it was time to get my tonsils removed. I am NOT looking forward to it at all. I have taken care of adult tonsillectomy patients and I know how much they hurt and I have also been in the OR and I know how they get them out which makes it that much worse. I'm dreading it. Tonsillectomies are so much worse for adults than kids. It's going to be a long two week recovery that I just want to be over!

PS- I know this is a weird random post, but I'm just trying to keep it real. I turn my blog into a book and I want to remember all aspects of my life, even the bad ones because it makes me so grateful for the good times.

PSS - This reminds me of a quote I read not to long ago:

Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. 
Be Kind. 
Always. 

No comments: