Friday, August 28, 2015

The Nest

My mom bought me a hanging basket for Mother's Day. I had noticed it was looking a little flat on top so I took it down to investigate. This is what I found:
Two little bird eggs and the next day there were four.  The kids were so excited when I showed them. We had to have a little peek everyday, sometimes twice a day, but we were very careful not to disturb or touch the nest.
Pretty soon they were starting to hatch. 
We took a picture once a week. This was a week after they had hatched and they were so stinking ugly that they were almost cute.
Pretty soon their fluffy white fluff started getting replaced with their "real feathers"
Almost all of the white fluff is gone. Sometimes we would walk down the sidewalk and the momma bird would take off because we had startled her, but we also ended up getting startled. All that black stuff around the edges is their feces. They were really good about not getting any of it inside their nest, but it sure was nasty along the edges.

I checked on them a few days after this picture was taken and the nest was empty : (
They learned how to fly and flew the coop. We kept checking back for a few days to see if they were going to come back, but they never did. It was fun while it lasted.

No comments: