Tuesday, September 3, 2013

First Day of 1st Grade

 
 Here he is! My big first grader! He's home from school now and had a great day and matured a few years. I know this sounds weird, but he has been acting so old and responsible since I picked him up. When we got in the van I told him Mason and Chloe kept asking about him all day long and he said, "yeah, well, I go to school all day long now."  Once we were home he unbuckled Mason and Chloe both and lifted them out of the van telling them to be careful not to get to close to the edge of the van as he was grabbing them to get them down. Then he was talking to me like an adult as we talked about his day and looked through his back pack. He even came in the house and got out of his school clothes, ALL without even being asked! Where did my little Gavin go?
 He picked out his shoes himself, red is his favorite color right now, can you tell? He loves Skylanders too so this of course was the shirt he picked out. 

Last night I was explaining to him which door he needed to go into and where to meet me after school so I could pick him up. The plan was I was going to walk him to his class on the first day of class and I was looking forward to it. I hurried and got Mason and Chloe dressed this morning too so they weren't cruising around the school in their pajamas and we headed out the door. 

I was on the verge of crying as I drove him to his school and when we got there he told me that he knew which door to go in and he didn't need me to walk him to class. I played brave until I watched my little grown up run away from the van to the playground and then it was over. The flood gates opened and the tears ran down my cheeks. I drove out of the parking lot with blurry vision from tears. 
On the way home I turned around two different times and headed back to the school because I was sure my little boy needed me, but ended up talking myself out of it because I realized it was more for me than him, my little boy doesn't need his mommy as much as his mommy thinks he does.

 

First Grade Interview
9/3/13
I made him his favorite breakfast for his first day of school. Four (yep four) pieces of french toast with a big glass of milk. He told me he had french toast for lunch today too and that his syrup packet was hard to open and he got syrup on his shirt but he hurried and used a "paper towel" to get it off before it dried.

I'm excited to see what the new school year brings for all of us.

No comments: